State, private and federal universities in Nigeria offer a list of courses for students who wish to study science. What exactly can you learn while getting higher education after school? We would like to mention some of the best science courses to study in Nigeria. This is something you can consider before applying for your future degree.
Since science courses are not offered by every higher educational institution, Nigerians can to choose their college or university based on the list of courses if they want to study science and get a degree in this field.
Best Courses for Science Students
We have combined different disciplines under the educational programs to ease your choice on what exactly you can study at college.
Basic Medical Science Program
- Nursing science
- Human nutrition and dietetics
- Public health
- Medical laboratory science
- Medical rehabilitation
- Actuarial science
- Education Program
- Library and information science
- Political science education
- Integrated science
- Computer science education
- Agricultural science education
- Earth science
- Telecommunication science
- Geology and mineral science
- Technology chemistry
- Marine biology
- Computer science
- Electronics and physics
- Industrial mathematics
- Industrial chemistry
- Cell biology and genetics
- Animal and environmental biology
- Plant biology and biotechnology
- Applied geo-physics
- Information and media technology
- Science laboratory technology
- Engineering physics
- Computer science with economy
- Computer science with mathematics
Social Science Program
- Defense studies
- International relations
- Local government studies
- Operations research
- International studies and diplomacy
- Social work
- Political science
- Administrative studies
- Demography and social statistics
- Mass communication
- Home science
- Food science
Environmental Science Program
- Estate management
- Surveying and geo-information
- Fine and applied arts
- Textile science
- Industrial design
- Regional and urban planning
- Glass technology
- Environmental management
All these best science courses are accredited by NUC (National Universities Commission). There could be other disciplines offered to science students as well, so it is up to you which institution to select and where to get your higher education.
Where to Study Courses under Science
Here are the higher educational institutions (also accredited by Nigerian National Universities Commission) where you can study the courses under science:
- University of Ibadan – here you can welcome to study medical science, common sciences and become a professional after graduation. Its selection of programs is pretty interesting since such disciplines are included as microbiology, geology, mathematics, computers, nursing science etc.
- University of Nigeria – this is a place to study sciences related to farming sphere of life, medical education, the extremely popular and demanded computer-field, common education, modern engineering, structural design and so on.
- Obafemi Awolowo University – this institution has a great program on medical science, education, environmental science, the amazing sphere of engineering and other popular fields of study in Nigeria.
- Ahmadu Bello University or University of Lagos – Nigerians who are looking into medicine as their future profession can apply to one of these two institutions and study basic medical science, although both universities also have programs on environmental and social sciences and other highly demanded disciplines.
A lot of other academies in Nigeria also offer particular selection of various courses under science, including University of Benin, Bayero University, University of Ilorin, Federal University of Technology, Modibbo Adama University of Technology to name a few.
Now you know what the best courses for science students are and which institutions teach some of them in Nigeria. Make sure you double check with the course you are interested in in the brochures sent out by JAMB to candidates who wish to pass exams to be admitted by a college or university. These brochures usually contain information about all accredited disciplines, so you can find even more of them related to science.